Wednesday, October 6, 2010

Finishing the Octopus, Ready to Start Cow



We are wrapping up Octopus right now. We finished our ocean mural today. Complete with hermit crabs, octopus (using the outline of their hands, well 8 fingers:), some sand on the bottom and torn green construction paper for sea grass.

I don't have a picture yet of the finished product but I do of the beginning stages. 20 minutes to paint it blue, 1 hour to clean it up and their clothes. Still trying to get blue paint out of little boy shorts. My fels naptha bar didn't make a dent, I hope the Oxiclean spray works.

We are on Lesson 75 of Teach Your Child to Read. I told Dino that he could have anything off the menu at Bruesters when we finished. "And I can read the menu!". Sure I said, "and that constant new trick will probably annoy daddy". He was excited about that unfortunately.

We did our last lesson outside yesterday. Gorgeous weather, a ten on the mellish meter, I let him read a line then ride his bike in a circle. He did great. His lessons are starting to teach him how to read without using the cues, for example, no long dash over the "e" for long e. He is so proud.

We also made Octopus puppets today. Just a brown bag, stuffed with newspaper, and cut the bottom into 8 strips. I found the My Father World forum, where other mom's post their ideas, additional reading on their unit studies. If I hadn't of just finished eating a hot dog for lunch, I would of gone ahead and cut up some dogs and boiled them to look like little octopi.

No comments:

Post a Comment